Murdoch Cameron (1847?-1930) was a graduate of the University, who was Professor of Midwifery at the University and Physician for Diseases of Women at the city's Western Infirmary from 1894 until 1926. He pioneered Caeserean Sections under antiseptic conditions and was awarded an LLD in 1927.
After graduating MB CM in 1870 and MD in 1872, Cameron went into private practice in Glasgow, specialising in Obstetrics. He was appointed Physician Accoucheur to the Western Infirmary in 1878. After becoming Obstetric Physician to the Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital in 1888, he began performing Caesaerean Sections under antiseptic conditions (initially for victims of rickets) and demonstrated that they could be safe and routine operations. The hospital became a world-leader in this area of Obstetrics and Cameron's pioneering work was recognised in his appointment in 1892 as Honorary President of the first International Congress on Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
Cameron was assistant to William Leishman, the Professor of Midwifery at the University, from 1885 until his appointment to the Chair in 1894. His son Samuel was appointed to the Regius Chair in 1934 and his daughter Agnes became a well-known physician in the city.